- Environmental Services
- Training and Safety
- Property Management
- Energy Services
There are more than 100,000 different types of molds. Mold affects health by releasing spores into the air to seed new colonies. When inhaled mold spores can cause chronic allergies, headaches, fatigue, skin rashes, throat and eye irritations, wheezing, and many respiratory problems.
Mold spores are present in nearly every home, even in North Eastern United States. They enter your home through windows or air conditioners, or are carried indoors on your shoes and clothing. Once inside, spores need only two things to colonize: a source of moisture and something to feed on. Your home has plenty of both. If there is trapped moisture, a leaky pipe, or a flooded basement or bathroom, mold is able to feed on carpets, wood, fabrics, and other common materials. It takes less than 24 hours to establish a new colony.
Toxic molds are more dangerous than ordinary molds because their spores contain poisonous mycotoxins. In concentrated amounts, mycotoxins can cause skin blistering, nosebleeds, asthma symptoms, or chest pains, among other things. In extreme situations, they can even cause shock and death. To be safe and to protect your family, ask or hire a professional to locate and identify the mold in your North Eastern United States area home.
Find out when to test
Learn about the ESI approach to mold
About our Commercial Mold Testing